vrijdag 29 oktober 2010

Closing a chapter

Almost 4 years ago I graduated as a nurse. The education was pretty difficult, but manageable ;) I had 3 different internships, one of which was absolutely horrible, and one was something I liked doing. I went from address to address and gave people the (medical) care they needed in their own homes. After I graduated, I decided to do this for a living. So for the past 3,5 years I've been helping people get showered, dressed, medicated, I'd take care of their wounds... What I came to find real early, was that it was pretty tough on my back! After 2 years it got to a point where I was absolutely done with this job, since my back would be killing me all the time! My employer helped me find solutions, I was examined to see what the cause of my back problems were, but they could never really tell. I went to therapy for almost a year, lost 19 kilo's in a year, had some minor addaptions in work, but nothing really made a difference. I started noticing that I'd always have to keep my back in mind, if I go somewhere, can I sit cuz I can't stand up all night. How long will the drive be, cuz I can't really drive for more that 2 hours... If I go out, or have a busy day, I have to make sure that the next day is gonna be an easy one, cuz I'll need the rest for my back... THIS SUCKS! I'm 22 years old, I shouldn't have to worrie about all of that all the time... After thinking about it for a long time and having many talks at work, I did realize that my job was the problem. All the bending, carrying... No matter how I do it, it always hurts. Therefor I've made the decision to stop doing this job. The only thing that kept me there for the past year is the money. It does pay well, but you have to work a lot, irregular, and it's not always as pleasant and thankfull as people may think. For a few months now, a lot of co-workers have been calling in sick, so those wo are working have to pick up what they leave behind. Extra shifts, more addresses to go to while you're working and a lot more stress. Me and stress... don't mix! I was done with it and told myself that I would quit as soon as I'd find another job.
The gym, where I've been going for over a year now, had a job opening! They needed someonw to work in the bar and as a receptionist! Exactly what I need! Walking, being busy, sitting down, working with people... I emmediately responded and this week I got the job. The pay isn't near as good as it is in healthcare, but the job isn't that demanding and I don't HAVE to work holidays anymore! That's a bonus! I'll meet new people, young people! Just what I need!
Today I officially quit my nursing job and everyone can know! ;) The only problem I have now is, I have to continue my job for 2 months!!! 0_0 DAMN! So for the next 2 months, I'm kinda working 2 jobs... With my back... Not a good idea, but I have to! I'll make some extra money, so untill January I'll be safe :p I really hope I can get a full contract next year at the gym and if not, this has been a nice inbetween and I'll look for something else! My heart tells me, that nursing wasn't really my thing after all, so I won't be going back there! I think :p

So all in all, this is a new chapter in my life although I still have to completely finish the previous one. Will do so december 31th ;) At least I won't have to work new years' day!!! HAHA! It's a risk I'm taking, but I need it, cuz believe me, doing a job you hate, especially when it's with medicine and people, is NO GOOD! And being in pain sure as hell isn't good for you!
People always say: Live your dreams ... I don't know if this is my dream, but what I used to do was a nightmare, so I guess it's a good think to wake up! Wish me luck everyone! I'm not good with taking chances, so I need all the thumbs up I can get ;)

XOXO

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten